A Word About Recycling... The Courtesy Rinse

As easy as 1, 2, 3, giving your cartons and containers a quick courtesy rinse will not only keep your kitchen smelling squeaky clean, but it will also make recycling that much more pleasant.

What's a courtesy rinse, you ask?

Simple.

A quick rinse of your recyclables before adding them to the recycling bin.

I know I keep my recycling bin in the kitchen, so having it not smell like trash (where everything is tossed in and starts smelling up the place instantly...yuck!) makes for a much more pleasant kitchen environment in which to cook and eat.

Now, I know what you're thinking. If everyone was expected to rinse what they recycle - milk cartons, meat trays, apple sauce containers - no one would ever recycle! And maybe for some of the population that assumption would be correct. That's why most recycling plants are now asking you to forgo rinsing and cleaning.

But...

If you're like me and you don't want a stinky kitchen - #1 reason I try to be as trash free as possible - giving a quick courtesy rinse to anything that needs it before tossing it in the recycle bin isn't something I cry over.

It's actually something I take joy and pride in!

I know, I know...I'm a green geek...but then again, maybe you are one too!

;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be a Super Mom - Cloth Diaper with FuzziBunz diapers at Nurtured Family