Kids in the Garden: How to Grow a Bean Teepee

A bean teepee creates a magical hiding spot for your children, a place to discover nature up close, allowing them to enjoy the summer months out of the sun and - maybe even for a time - out of your way while tend to your garden or attempt to read a book and relax.

Easy as 1, 2, 3...
  1. Simply push seven to nine 6-foot bamboo poles 3 inches deep into the ground, forming a semi-circle while allowing room for an entrance.

  2. Join the poles together at the top with some twine or old rope, about 6 inches down from the top.

  3. Plant two beans – pole beans, runner beans, lima beans – at the base of each bamboo pole to ensure at least one plant will make it to the top.
Children can be put to task with a handful of beans and simple instructions, creating their very own hideaway. Once the beans have reached their full height, place a blanket inside to sit upon. Perfect for either the front or backyard, a Bean Teepee is a great escape, complete with its very own crunchy snacks!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! Great idea (I wish I had a garden to do it in). Now I just have to talk a friend in to it and we're good to go. Great post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to take a pic of the one my children are growing...I got the bamboo sticks from someone on Craigslist (gotta love that list!). I just hope we didn't put it too much in the shade. Every year our Maple (and our neighbor's Maple) just get bigger and bigger! anyway, I'll have to find my camera and take a pic ;)

    ReplyDelete

Be a Super Mom - Cloth Diaper with FuzziBunz diapers at Nurtured Family